|Project Associate (For Indian nationals only)|
Project Associate (For Indian nationals only)
Company : United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Odisha
Project Associate (For Indian nationals only)
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV - indicating all part positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate and at least three (3) references.
- Cover letter - indicating why the candidate considers him/herself to be suitable for the position.
The UN Secretary-General established the UN SDG Action Campaign to inspire people and organizations from all backgrounds and every part of the world to take actions to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals, while holding decision-makers to account for progress society-wide. The UN SDG Action Campaign is hosted and supported by UNDP and is based in Bonn (Germany) with a lean team that marshals rapid support for new initiatives as opportunities arise and provides partners with on-demand strategic creative services that inspire local SDG action.
The UN SDG Action Campaign is working closely with cities and local governments to showcase how they are actively contributing to implement Agenda 2030, accelerating transformative action to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals for all, and everywhere.
Within this context, the UN SDG Action Campaign is seeking to recruit a Project Associate on Cities creating livelihoods to maximize UNDP efforts to support local and regional governments innovating SDG local action.
Local and regional governments are already responsible of over 65% of the SDG targets, most of them linked to basic service provision from water, sanitation, mobility, climate action, health or education. Cities and territories are playing a big part on the implementation of SDGs, that are becoming a new tool for strategic planning and budgeting in the mid to long-term. The Project Associate will support UNDP Country Office working with municipalities around the world to exchange experiences, generate knowledge about the latest local development trends and collect data about city innovation to upscale and replicate such innovations. The Project Associate will also ensure that the experience generated by the Global Mayors Challenge project is shared, upscale and communicate worldwide.
Within this context, the Project Associate will organize exchanges and produce knowledge about the role of local governments on creating livelihoods, with special focus on food systems and local employment generation. Working closely with cities in India and worldwide,h/she will generate and share knowledge about how local governments are generating economic opportunities for the local population, including employment generation and improving income of the most vulnerable.
The project specifically focus on how municipalities are using SDGs in a transformative and integrated way to create jobs and generate livelihoods, with a particular interest on the role of local food systems in improving living conditions and eradicate poverty.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Project Associate will work with the UNDP-UN SDG Action Campaign Network to:
- Facilitate the exchange of experiences amongst participating local governments by analyzing the data and generate knowledge assets;
- Identify similar experiences worldwide, analyse public policies and share technical expertise to the UNDP beneficiary cities globally;
- Support project implementation through the reproduction of experiences of local governments wishing to implement local policies on livelihood creation and conduct need assessment for local regional governments;
- Provide technical support to the overall implementation of the Global Mayors Challenge in Rourkela, India;
- Facilitate the preparation and review of training resource materials (modules, manuals, SOPs etc.) and provide support in other capacity development activities;
- Prepare a monitoring framework for the status, results, milestones for the capacity development;
- Identify and map different resource persons and institutions working on similar issues, worldwise and document human impact stories, good case studies, project success, challenges and innovative models;
- Any other task assigned by the supervisor.
The Project Associate will report to the Project Manager, based in UNDP New York Headquarters and will work closely with the focal point at the UNDP Country Office in India.
Cross-Functional and Technical Competencies:
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus on improved performance and demonstrable results.
- Ability to define and create the conditions for trying out new ways of working or introducing new problem solving approaches to an organisation.
- Ability to develop, manage and evaluate a learning curriculum that raises awareness, builds confidence, strengthens innovation capabilities around a certain method, tool or technique; or helps develop an innovation mindset.
- Ability to create the authorising environment (mandate, incentives) to embed and spread new ways of working.
- In-depth knowledge of one or more innovation methods, broad knowledge of innovation processes and innovation management.
- Ability to align a learning and development strategy with broader innovation strategy.
- Knowledge of appropriate digital communication methodologies for development and behaviour change, and ability to apply them practically.
- Knowledge of experience design methodologies and ability to design end-to-end experiences that meet user and business needs.
- Ability to plan, manage and execute public and private events to ensure that they support and amplify individual communications and advocacy initiatives, as well as UNDP's overall brand and mandate.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of High School Diploma is required;
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business, Law, Public Administration, Political Science, Urban Planning, International Development or related field is highly desirable.
- A minimum of six (6) years with High School Diploma or three (3) years with Bachelor’s Degree of relevant experience working with public administrations, preferably at local level in issues related to service provision, public management and finance or public policy is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) is required.
- Proven professional experience focusing on client management and working with a diverse team will be an asset;
Understanding of UNDP rules and procedures or experience of completing UN assignments would be an asset;
Proven experience in working with local governments and their associations is an asset;
- Excellent analytical and communication skills (written, verbal, interpersonal and intercultural) is an asset.
- Proficiency in the English language is required;
- Working knowledge of Odia and Hindi languages is an asset.