|Specialist - Communications|
Specialist - Communications
Company : IRRI Education
Salary : ₹35,700 - ₹74,300 a month
Location : Uttar Pradesh
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The IRRI South Asia Regional Centre is a regional facility that supports research collaboration, training, and service provision to institutions, scientists, and other stakeholders from India and other South Asian and African nations. The Centre aims to (1) enhance South-South collaboration and strengthen the capacity of rice-growing countries in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa in crop production, seed quality, and to enhance farmers’ income (2) deliver research for development services for the private and public sectors through its state-of-the-art laboratory facilities for grain quality, crop production and nutritional quality and (3) enable knowledge transfer through short courses on rice-based agri-food systems and other IRRI Education products within the region. All IRRI Programs operating in South Asia are being led from ISARC which is also extending research capacity building support including to projects like CSISA, APART, DSRC, EiA, Odisha DSR etc.
With the general direction of the Director, ISARC and the Manager of the core communication, and in collaboration with the Program Manager, technical teams of various components/projects at ISARC, the incumbent will develop content for communication collaterals related to the progress of research and development activities of ISARC and IRRI programs coordinated by ISARC in South Asia in accordance with the IRRI communication guidelines. Manage events from planning, execution, and post-event evaluation and reporting, ensuring adherence to strategic direction and communication standards. S/he will closely work with the IRRI communication team at HQ for day-to-day office operations.
This position will be based at the IRRI South Asia Regional Centre (ISARC) in Varanasi and will only be filled in by permanent citizens of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conceptualize, adapt communication plan & strategy to be implemented on communication collateral content development and event management at ISARC.
- Ensure communication collaterals and web content are aligned with IRRI branding standards and delivered in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain media (English and Hindi) relationships and actively pursues media relations strategy.
- Lead content creation and distribution for ISARC and other projects on various IRRI platforms.
- Coordinate with the ISARC unit leads, PI’s to ensure that communication needs are addressed well in time.
- Secure linkages and collaborate with regional partners, communication subgroups, and the media to ensure timely delivery of outputs, information dissemination and technology transfer.
- Develop engaging, creative and innovative communication collaterals (e.g. press releases, articles, video scripts, brochures, success story, project fact sheets, one pagers etc.) that can be used on multiple channels in adherence with IRRI publication and style guidelines
- Content creation, calendaring and distribution across IRRI platforms (website, social media, blog and other outlets), in coordination with IRRI Communication Manager which can be shared with public to raise awareness and enhance audience growth.
- Solicit information for success stories from various units and implementing partners. Draft and/or edit success stories with appropriate photograph. Coordinate with HQ to upload the documents onto the website.
- Update project pages and factsheets, draft web stories and photo essays for digital use, research strong visuals and select images that will have high social media traction
- Lead the social media strategy for ISARC in coordination with communications team and ISARC management.
- Manage and monitor online outreach campaigns, in conjunction with ISARC units, program teams and communications team and create link with stakeholder and project partners
- Manage, organize and update the ISARC photo library, ensuring that a selection of high quality photographs with appropriate content are available for project reporting and public information needs.
- Write and organize background briefings for media, along with the press releases, speeches and talking points as required.
- Manage events including high level delegates visits at ISARC (preparation of banners, posters etc.) and dissemination of the information at the various print media (Hindi and English)
- Manage ISARC Library with the list of books available and its issuance to staff.
- Partner and provide technical advice to leverage social media platforms for events, conference, talks, projects, ensuring proper consistency across multiple networks.
- Influence virtual audiences through regular activities in social media channels to promote overall ISARC brand.
- Update institutional brand guidelines document and ensure strict compliance among the staff.
Bachelor’s degree in communication, Development communication, Journalism,
Languages or related fields with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience, or
Master's degree in communication, Development communication, Journalism, Languages or related fields with a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in communication products development
- Experience in video development and editing
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence others
- Experience in packaging communication collaterals that are applicable across multiple mediums or channels
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools
- Strong event management skills
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent photography and computational skills
- Experience of working in an international organization, NGOs, agriculture sector
- Experience and knowledge of the local communication landscape. (Hindi and
In addition to the base pay indicated above, IRRI also offers the below listed allowances:
- House-Rent Allowance: IRRI provides a house rent allowance of 40% of base pay per month.
- Transport Allowance: A monthly transport allowance is provided to NRS as below: NRS L5: INR 4,000
- Dearness Allowance: One Hundred and Thirteen percent (113%) of employee’s base pay.
- Leave Travel Allowance (LTA): One-month base pay per annum, on availing minimum 2 days of vacation leave
- Education Allowance: INR 1000/- per child per month (limited 2 children)
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job Reference: HQ01380