New job Climate Adaptation Scientist, Global Science in Andaman and Nicobar Islands
|Climate Adaptation Scientist, Global Science|
Climate Adaptation Scientist, Global Science
Company : The Nature Conservancy
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Flexible within locations where TNC has an established office.
A LITTLE ABOUT US
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on. As a science-based organization, we create innovative, on-the-ground solutions to our world’s toughest challenges so that we can create a world in which people and nature thrive.
We’re rooted in our Mission and guided by our Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. We know we’ll only achieve our Mission by hiring and engaging a diverse workforce that reflects the communities in which we work. Whether it’s career development, work/life balance, or a rewarding mission, there’s lots of reasons to love life #insideTNC. Our goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all of our colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to our mission are valued.
Although you’ll see requirements in our postings, we recognize that people come with talent and experiences outside of a job. Passion, innovation, and diversity are all key components to advancing our Mission and we encourage you to apply.
YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
Science staff at The Nature Conservancy help ensure that the organization’s actions are evidence-based. The Climate Adaptation Scientist provides technical and scientific support and leadership as a subject matter resource for TNC’s conservation and nature-based climate solutions initiatives. The position will work with programs throughout the Conservancy, particularly the Tackle Climate Change team, and regional strategy teams, to integrate quantitative and qualitative climate trends and projections into TNC’s work on ocean, land and freshwater conservation and climate change mitigation. This is an opportunity to work internationally with leading scientists and organizations to co-develop and implement equitable nature-based adaptation solutions that provide multiple benefits to nature and people at a pace and scale that matches the urgency of climate change.
The Climate Adaptation Scientist is a member of the Global Science team and reports to the Senior Lead Scientist.
The location for this position is flexible within countries where TNC has offices. Although this position has location flexibility, TNC is unable to accommodate personal moves.
The Climate Adaptation Scientist supports the rigorous use of climate data (observational, reanalysis, global climate model and high-resolution downscaled data) in the design and evaluation of climate adaptation approaches across many different environments (e.g. grasslands, forests, oceans) and conservation strategies as needed by TNC and partners, including the integration of quantitative climate projections into spatial planning tools. They support cutting-edge applied research on climate change impacts and adaptation related to nature and people including measures of success relevant to ecosystem health and human well-being. They support, and in some cases lead, the timely development of peer reviewed publications that report on these analyses. They will work to demonstrate and communicate that nature-based solutions are an integral component of a human-centered approach to climate resilience, keeping both people and nature safer into an uncertain future. This position will represent the Conservancy as a leader on multi- disciplinary/multi-partner project teams to design and test the effectiveness of nature-based approaches for protecting nature and people. They will play an important role in the dissemination of best practices to TNC field programs and also provide training and analysis on thematic issues as appropriate.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
- Confronts questions of conservation climate adaptation strategy with quantitative analysis of empirical data.
- Is flexible about the geographic or strategic focus of climate adaptations analysis, supporting the priority needs as identified by TNC.
- Works in a complex matrix organization environment.
- Participate and/or lead a cross functional team.
- Fosters internal and external collaborations including with TNC business units and universities.
- Interprets guidelines, evaluates information and modifies processes to adapt to changing circumstances for the program.
- May provide training for internal and external colleagues on the use of climate adaptation data in conservation planning.
- Maintains knowledge of current data, trends and practices in climate adaptation, climate resilience, nature-based solutions and related disciplines.
- Maintains scientific credibility through peer reviewed publications, research and communication.
- Self-motivated training so that skills remain current.
- May manage a grant, contract or write a request for proposal.
- Master's Degree in science related field or relevant discipline and 4 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken.
- Extensive experience with manipulating, analyzing, and interpreting observational climate data, global models and scenarios.
- Experience in the development and application of high-resolution climate projections from both dynamical and empirical statistical downscaling models to climate impact assessments and climate adaptation and resilience planning across a broad range of sectors and geographies.
- Experience working across different cultures, and with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience fundraising and/or writing grants and research proposals.
- Experience managing complex projects including the financial aspect and coordinating the work of peers and partners.
- PhD in relevant discipline and 1-3 years experience.
- Demonstrated ability and recognized expertise in identifying the most appropriate climate inputs, including observations and model projections, for use in projects that span a broad range of sectors, resources and geographies
- Record of peer reviewed publications in scientific journals.
- Training experience.
- An interest in capacity building and diversity and equity in science.
- Multi-language skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully develop and implement complex projects in an unstructured environment.
- Independent and self-motivated with the ability to participate effectively in a remote team environment.
- Experience with climate resilience and adaptation planning in more than one of academia, non-profit, private and government settings.
- Familiarity with climate risk models and modeling and the application of climate risk data in cost benefit analyses.
- Professional network in climate adaptation science and sectoral impacts analysis.
To apply, submit your materials online by using the Apply Now button at https://careers.nature.org/. Need help applying? Visit our recruitment page or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please send a note to email@example.com with Request for Accommodation in the subject line.