New job Project Associate I - Value Added Product in Uttar Pradesh
Project Associate I - Value Added Product
Company : IRRI Education
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Uttar Pradesh
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, non-profit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Center of Excellence for Rice Value Addition (CERVA) is a major component of the IRRI South Asian Regional Center (ISARC) that is established in India by IRRI, with strong support from the Government of India to enhance research and training capabilities in the south Asian and African regions to enable production of rice with superior grain qualities. With the mission of addressing the grain quality analytical needs of breeders and other stakeholders in the rice value chain, CERVA is established under ISARC as a world class grain quality research facility encompassing capabilities to evaluate milling, cooking, nutritional and sensory qualities of rice grain as well as food safety. Rice based food product development is also a major focus of CERVA.
This is a position under the project awarded to IRRI by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA). The incumbent to this position will work with the Sensory and Product Development team and the Head of CERVA to conduct research on developing nutritionally enriched value added rice based products and evaluating the sensory, texture and nutritional qualities, packaging, storage and shelf life of the developed products through a range of analytical techniques.
This position will be based at the IRRI South Asia Regional Center (ISARC) at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and will only be filled by permanent citizens of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct research on developing innovative food products using rice and byproducts of rice milling, and improving the existing traditional rice products.
- Develop concepts and recipes for value adding rice products to cater varying target consumers.
- Carry out sensory profiling of rice and rice based products using panel based and instrument based techniques.
- Undertake nutritional quality evaluation of the rice and rice products employing a range of techniques including chemical assays and advanced instrument based methods.
- Establish a screening program for landrace and mega varieties of rice for superior product quality traits to enhance utilization of specific rice accessions in innovative products.
- Prepare and communicate progress reports in a timely manner, meeting organizational and donor requirements.
- Assist in implementing sensory and food processing training programs to cater a range of audience taking into account regional sensory and product preferences
- Maintain close interactions with research programs on other grain quality components such as milling quality, cooking quality, nutritional quality and food safety.
- Work closely with researchers in the Consumer driven Grain Quality and Nutrition Unit and IRRI Breeding team to support sensory quality evaluation of breeding lines and rice products.
- Interact with PhD Scholars and Interns in providing technology training in the areas of sensory science and food processing
- Data generation, analyses and interpretations of sensory quality, nutritional quality and food safety traits of rice and rice based products.
- Contribute to presentations and publications.
- Support in expanding the infrastructure facilities of the Sensory and Product Development Lab of CERVA.
- Contribute to developing safe operating procedures and other documentations required for ISO accreditation of the lab.
- Contribute to developing a well-trained sensory panel and clear instrumental based sensory tools to overcome limitations of sensory evaluation.
- Contribute to maintaining accurate logs of all sensory evaluations and establish a database on sensory data to help generate comprehensive quality profiling of rice lines and varieties
Bachelor of Science with a major in Food Science and Nutrition, Food Technology, Food Engineering, Food Biochemistry, Sensory Science or equivalent, with at 1 year of experience in a Food Science Lab or in a Food Industry Environment
- Knowledge in rice grain quality and sensory quality traits
- Background in food science research and product development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge on statistical analyses of biological data
- Skills in handling and analyzing high-throughput data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team of multidisciplinary scientists
- Ability to interact with collaborators and other stakeholders
- Skills in establishing a sensory panel
- Ability to coordinate Quality Assurance in the laboratory
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Job Reference: HQ01224