New job Project Associate - Grain Quality & Nutrition in Uttar Pradesh
Project Associate - Grain Quality & Nutrition
Company : IRRI Education
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Uttar Pradesh
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, non-profit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The Center of Excellence for Rice Value Addition (CERVA) is a major component of the IRRI South Asian Regional Center (ISARC) that is established in India by IRRI, with strong support from the Government of India to enhance research and training capabilities in the south Asian and African regions to enable production of rice with superior grain qualities. With the mission of addressing the grain quality analytical needs of breeders and other stakeholders in the rice value chain, CERVA is established under ISARC as a world class grain quality research facility encompassing capabilities to evaluate milling, cooking, nutritional and sensory qualities of rice grain as well as food safety. Rice based food product development is also a major focus of CERVA.
This is a position under the project awarded to IRRI by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA). The selected incumbent will work with the Grain Quality and Nutrition team of CERVA to conduct research on improving the grain quality and nutritional quality traits in rice with a particular focus to traditional land races and popular mega varieties in India.
This position will be based at the IRRI South Asia Regional Center (ISARC) at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh and will only be filled by permanent citizens of India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Undertake experiments to profile the milling quality and cooking quality traits of rice employing a range of analytical techniques.
- Design research activities for improving the milling, cooking and eating qualities of rice screening of rice accessions for superior nutritional quality traits using assay based and advanced instrument based methods.
- Prepare and communicate progress reports in a timely manner, meeting organizational and donor requirements.
- Contribute to the development of research proposals including reviewing relevant literature.
- Improvise methodologies for analyzing grain quality and nutritional quality traits for high throughput phenotyping outcomes.
- Ensure availability of services and supplies for uninterrupted flow of experiments and maintain inventories as required.
- Ensure smooth conduct of experiment(s) by troubleshooting and fostering a productive teamwork environment.
- Develop standard operating procedures (SOP) for the lab and contribute to collective efforts in obtaining and maintaining national accreditation.
- Coordinate Risk Management, Quality Assurance, and Safety Activities
- Maintain close interactions with all research programs of CERVA including those of food safety and sensory quality and product development.
- Work closely with researchers in the Consumer driven Grain Quality and Nutrition Unit and IRRI Breeding team to support characterization of breeding lines as required.
- Interact with PhD Scholars and Interns in providing technology training in the areas of grain quality and nutritional quality analytics.
- Interact with collaborators to meet project milestones and achieve shared goals.
- Engage with field staff for designing and conducting field experiments relating to the project.
- Data generation, analyses and interpretations of milling quality, cooking quality and nutritional qualities for rice.
- Contribute to presentations and publications for effective communications of research outcomes.
- Contribute to developing standard operating procedures and other documentations required for ISO accreditation of the lab.
- Maintain accurate logs of all grain quality and nutritional quality experiments and establish a reference database of comprehensive quality profiles of traditional land races and popular varieties
Bachelor of Science in chemistry, biochemistry or equivalent, with at least 2 years of relevant research experience, or
Master of Science in Chemistry, Biochemistry or equivalent with at least 1 year relevant work experience
- Knowledge in rice grain quality and nutritional quality traits
- Proven technical proficiency in conducting research experiments
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge on statistical analyses of biological data
- Skills in handling and analyzing high-throughput data
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team of multidisciplinary scientists
- Technical skills in analyzing rice grain quality traits
- Skills in analyzing nutritional quality traits in rice utilizing Mass Spectrometry based techniques
- Ability to coordinate Quality Assurance in the laboratory
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Job Reference: HQ01223