New job Coordinator - Project in Tamil Nadu
Coordinator - Project
Company : Save the Children
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Tamil Nadu
Programme and Policy
Save the Children is a global non-profit organization, founded in 1919 as a response to the condition in Europe immediately following the First World War, is a federation of 29 members with similar vision, mission, and values for children, working in more than 120 countries to form a truly international movement for children. In 2008, Save the Children registered in Indian as ‘Bal Raksha Bharat’. Today Save the Children is India’s leading independent child rights organization. Last year alone (in 2018), we reached 12.03 lakh children through our programmes in 20 states. Our vision for the new strategy period 2019-2021, is to contribute to the breakthroughs (survival, Basic education, Protection & Development) by catalyzing change for 6 million most deprived children, in 6 strategic states, through Innovation, forging Strategic partnerships, tapping into emerging trends, building a High Performing Organization and raising resources to fund the programmes.
Programme operations covers Programme Implementation (with partners or direct implementation), Thematic Expertise (technical knowledge in areas of specialization), and Policy & Programme Impact (advocacy, research, monitoring & evaluation, and quality). The function links grass-roots work with policy changes at the highest level, and manages an ecosystem of partnerships including, but not limited to, community organizations, donors, peer organizations, academic institutions, media, and the state. Policy and Programme Impact is a constituent of Programme & Policy function that comprises elements of MEAL (Monitoring Evaluation and Learning), Research, Quality and Learning and Policy & Advocacy at district and state level.
The partnership with Sun Foundation is proposed to improve water, sanitation and hygiene practices across 30 elementary Govt. schools in Thiruvallur district directly reaching to 6000+ children and indirectly reaching to 5000+ populations. Save the Children proposes to work in 30 schools spread across in 2 blocks of Pallipattu and RK Pet in Thiruvallur district. In Thiruvallur,
The Project is aiming to work on repair and renovate WASH facilities in 30 schools. And in most of the schools the maintenance and management of existing facilities are not as per norms, due to this, most of the toilets are non-functional and children have no access to toilets in schools. And the girls of high and higher secondary schools do drink less water or seldom do it for the fear of going out in absence of functional toilets in schools. And in the long run, the girls do drop out from schools. Government of Tamil Nadu, linked sanitary workers of village panchayats for regular cleanliness and maintenance. However, they seldom visit the schools for the purpose they have been appointed for. Due to this, most of the toilets are non-functional and children have no access to toilets in schools. This is Just because of lack of realization of the importance of WASH aspects both among the sanitary workers and among the student community. Hence it is very important educate (maintaining the toilets neat and clean) and make them realize the importance of the work they do. In order to bring this realization, we propose BCC for both the Sanitary workers and students.
- Strengthening leadership and coordination of school WASH
- Facilitate and foster Sanitation Facilities; Budgets, Costs and designs
- Organize hygiene education, communication and sustainability
S/he would be responsible for implementation of the project deliverables in all the project areas and ensure that the envisioned outcome of the project are accomplished with quality programming and contributing to the success of organizational strategy & breakthroughs. Also build a strong collaboration with Education Department/School Management for an effective implementation of the project.
Role & responsibilities (<5):
- Based on the outcomes/impacts required under the project, plan and implement the deliverables
- Regular project monitoring through field visits and providing guidance to the project team for smoother execution of the project.
- Obtaining necessary approvals and permissions from Education department for undertaking activities as per the project design.
- Analyze and evaluate data and/or takes corrective action when necessary to meet project objectives
- Contributes to and enable the concurrent monitoring and reporting on performance indicators of the project.
- Undertakes field visits to monitor the project (including cash and supply assistance), as well as conducting periodic program reviews with government counterparts and other partners.
- Donor reporting as per donor guidelines
- Timely submission of all MIS related information and data to the line/dotted manager and KM
- Budget review & work plan preparation and transaction;
- Provide technical support to government towards training and capacity building for different stakeholders as per the project engagement and demand
- Liaison with state/district level network and alliances as per the project requirements
- Participates in meetings with Departments/Ministries responsible for project review and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
Measures of Performance (<5):
- Quality and quantity of Project / programme implementation
- Efficiency and quality of reports / documents generated under the project
- Quality of PIP and compliance of work plan and cash flow.
Approval Authority (<5):
- For budgetary authority and similar matters, refer to Scheme of Delegation
Direct (solid-line) to (administrative): State Lead-KNTN
Matrix (dotted-line) to (functional): H&N Manager –South HUB
Direct reports (line management responsibility if any): State Lead-KNTN – Project Office
Key relationships: (Internal & External stakeholders)
Internal Stakeholders (collaborates with): H&N Thematic /WASH focal and Education thematic focal at South HUB level
External Stakeholders : Government and CSOs in the state and in project districts; Children & their families.
At least 06 years of experience working in project management focusing on
2-3 yrs in Health and Nutrition projects in development sector
2-3 yrs leading projects related to WASH in schools
2-3 yrs of experience working with Govt. stakeholders and CSOs.
Post graduate degree in Social Sciences, Public Health, or any other relevant sector
Skills & Knowledge
- 6-7 years of comprehensive knowledge/experience in functional areas of WASH, WASH in Public schools and collaborative work with government departments
- Working knowledge on child rights, policies and framework on WASH in schools, child protection and developmental aspects
- Knowledge of traditional and digital media space, and the ability to position organization in both
- Experience of representing organizations in the media, national conclaves, conferences etc. as the face of the organization
- Interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills
- Excellent command over English, Telugu and Hindi languages
- Developing self and others
- Problem solving and decision making
- Adaptable, flexible, proactive and innovative
- Team work
- Communicating with impact
- Ability to work long hours under pressure and respect tight deadlines
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values, and principles
- Recruitment and selection procedures, which include rigorous background checks, reflect our commitment to the protection of children from abuse
- Save the Children aims to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome all applications irrespective of age, race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, belief or creed. Women candidates are encouraged to apply. We are also open to applications from people who want to work flexibly.
Child Safeguarding level required/ appropriate for the role:
The role holder will not have contact with children and/or young people, or access to personal data about children or young people, as part of their work; therefore a police check will not be mandatory unless the content or location of the role changes, in which case the Child Safeguarding level will be reviewed.
Either the role holder will have access to personal data about children and/or young people as part of their work; or they will be working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor, legal executive); therefore a police check will be required.
The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.