New job Communications Associate - TNUSSP & CWIS in Tamil Nadu
Communications Associate - TNUSSP & CWIS
Company : Indian Institute for Human Settlements
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Tamil Nadu
About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu is poised to become a fully sanitized and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP).
About the Trichy CWIS Project
Trichy has been selected as one of eight cities under the City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS) initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. CWIS cities are expected to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal for sanitation to ensure safe, inclusive, and financially sustainable sanitation services, and serve as global benchmarks.
The Trichy CWIS project is guided by the urban local body and delivered by a consortium of partners led by IIHS. While the project aims to improve overall sanitation outcomes in Trichy across the full cycle of sanitation, it focuses on improvement of service delivery to the urban poor and vulnerable. The project also attempts to mainstream sanitation into existing initiatives, showcase innovations and systematically document and share learnings (particularly with a view to enabling replication).
The Practice Team at IIHS is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice, exposing learners to real-life problems, and integrating practice into academics and research.
The Communications Associate – TNUSSP & CWIS will be responsible for supporting project communications for TNUSSP and CWIS including newsletter, website and other media. S/he must be able to showcase the work of the programme, while also helping raise the profile of urban sanitation on the whole by creating engaging and interesting content.
This is a contractual project-based engagement for an initial term of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- Assisting in the execution of the project communication plan;
- Supporting the team with media, communications and online training including on-camera interviews, public pieces, editorial outreach, strategic communications and crisis communications;
- Assisting in content development including, editing assistance across all communication material e.g., TNUSSP website, social media, newsletters, blogs, etc.;
- Maintaining a calendar for the website, mailing lists and mailing interface for newsletter;
- Tracking reports and other programme outputs;
- Providing assistance as needed in preparing analytics data for all communication mediums of TNUSSP;
- Providing support to all media related activities including building and maintaining all such relationships;
- Documenting and archiving all project communication output;
- Liaising with the Design team to ensure smooth production of all communication material;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Communications Associate – TNUSSP & CWIS will be an External Consultant coordinating with the Team Leader, TNUSSP or any other person designated by the Team Leader, and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations.
The role will also require working in close coordination with the IIHS Communications & Design team to ensure that project and programme communications are aligned with the core institutional communication strategy and related guidelines.
The candidate should have:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Urban development or other related fields with 3-4 years of relevant work experience; prior experience in working on a communications mandate for projects would be preferred;
- The ability to edit documents on a variety of subjects related to urban sanitation;
- A flair for writing, with strong attention to detail;
- A good understanding of, and the ability to, work on social media platforms as and when needed;
- Proficiency in English and Tamil, both spoken and written, would be an advantage;
- The ability to work successfully within a team, and to coordinate effectively with multiple other teams;
- The ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines;
- Quick learning ability along with flexibility, curiosity and interest in working with colleagues from different streams of the project;
- Excellent inter-personal skills, and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word and other desktop publishing software.
This is a contractual project-based engagement for an initial term of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with the IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Chennai with frequent travel within Tamil Nadu and other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.