New job Field Extension Officer - FAR in Mizoram
Field Extension Officer - FAR
Company : IFDC- International Fertilizer Development
Salary : Details not provided
Location : Mizoram
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC), is a non-profit public international organization in the soil fertility and agricultural development sector. IFDC is headquartered in Alabama, USA, with two regional coordination offices in Africa. One of the two divisions in Africa, the East & Southern Africa Division (ESAFD), coordinated from Nairobi, Kenya, is implementing several projects in Mozambique.
IFDC implementing the Food Security Through Climate Adaptation and Resilience (FAR-Mozambique) Program - Phase 2 , a Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency - funded Programme intending to increase the availability of, and access to, food for 30-45,000 semi-subsistence and semi-commercial small holder farmer households in Manica and Sofala Provinces.. Phase 2 of the FAR Program will build on Phase 1 successes, seeking to further scale geographic reach within Phase 1 areas and new locations, and to broaden networks and engagement by public and private sector actors to link farmers to markets and increase market-responsive skills and climate-smart agricultural (CSA) practices to improve food access and availability, and increase knowledge of and uptake of climate-smart agriculture solutions farmers for long term sustainability. IFDC and its partners will apply a facilitative approach and continue to scale into new regions and reduce presence in successful pilot areas. Phase 2 management and implementation will be adapted for challenges COVID-19 pandemic, given the potential impact on the agriculture sector and household food security, especially for women.
By the end of December 2022, IFDC anticipate reaching nearly 4000 farmers (70% women), with 50% adopting CSA practices through improved skills and access to productivity-enhancing inputs, extension services, and markets through a network of agro-dealers and VBAs, as well as through Information and Communications Technologies for Agriculture (ICT4Ag)-enabled services and support.
To support the implementation of FAR – Sofala, IFDC Mozambique is seeking to recruit a highly competent individual to fill the position of “Field Extension Officer”. The Extension Officer will undertake the agronomic activities in coordination with the Project Team Leader and Project Field Coordinator. The position is based in Buzi and report to the Project Field Coordinator.
JOB OVERVIEW & DESCRIPTION
The overall purpose of this post is to support the planning, implementation and coordination of agronomic and market components of the FAR Sofala.
Role and Responsibilities
Main duties are:
- Conduct and monitoring on-farm demonstration plots with strong market-linkages
- Providing agronomic and management support to FAR-Sofala partners. This may include work planning with farmers’ associations/groups, SDAEs extension officers, Hub-Agrodealers, rural agro-dealers, fertilizer companies, buyers other implementing organization of FAR Mozambique such as AFAP and other EoS funded projects.
- Undertaking regular visits to project areas and meeting with partners and stakeholders to discuss barriers to success, opportunities for advancement, and progress made toward achieving project goals and objectives;
- Prepare and coordinate field days with partners in the rice, maize, legumes and vegetables value chains
- Assisting in the identification of opportunities for project development and expansion
- Representing IFDC in the country with stakeholders from public and private sectors, development partners and stakeholders to further the aims of IFDC in Mozambique and the region.
- Work in close collaboration with Project Field Coordinator on project operations issues and identify synergies and alignment between FAR Sofala project and interface with other FAR Mozambique projects
- Any other activities as requested by the Project Field Coordinator.
The position will be based in Buzi district in Sofala Province, Mozambique with travel to project areas other locations as needed. The job is open for nationals only!
Full details of the job are available in the IFDC website. Interested applicants should apply directly to: email@example.com. The deadline for applications is May 15, 2021. Only selected applications will be contacted.
Qualifications, skills and requirements
- Degree in Agronomy or related fields
- Proven and extensive project management experiences, strong knowledge on rice, maize, legume and vegetables production
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks;
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative;
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to the field;
- Excellent oral, written and inter personal and communication skills in Portuguese and English
- Oral communication skills in Ndau
- High level of initiative, enthusiasm and teamwork
- Motorbike driving license